Are you bored of cooking the same sauce or curry for dinner?
How about trying a sauce with a Hoisin Slant? Hey… what’s a hoisin (hoi.sin) sauce? Well, hoisin sauce is like a Chinese barbecue sauce, thick, pungent and sweet. It is used in Asian stir-fries and marinades and is made from fermented soy, garlic, vinegar and chili’s.
This sauce was prepared using soy sauce, garlic, vinegar, chili sauce along with beans and sweet potatoes. You can pour this sauce over rice, noodles, meat-loaf, fish or over whatever food you wish to! I used this sauce over brown rice.
To make it more appetizing, try adding some colorful vegetables. I jazzed it up by adding some stir-fried carrots, bell peppers and oyster mushrooms. You may add whatever veggies you or your kids like!
2 tsp oil
1 clove garlic (chopped)
½ inch ginger (chopped)
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 onion (chopped)
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar/ white vinegar
2 tsp chili sauce
1/3 cup black beans/ red kidney beans (boiled)
1 sweet potato (boiled)
1/8 tsp black pepper (powder)
- In a heated pan, add ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until brown. Cool for 7-10 mins.
- In a blender add the onions, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce, black beans and sweet potato.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water and blend well.
- Pour the sauce in a pan and warm it.
- Serve hot over rice, noodles, quinoa or any food of your choice.Enjoy!