The comfort of pilaf with the adventure of a new grain!
- Look at your diet sheet to guide your choices.
- Select an allowed oil, vegetable, and spice/flavoring, and allowed broth or water.
- Dice vegetable finely
- Heat oil until it sizzles when a small drop of water is dropped on surface
- Stir fry vegetables, and spices lightly until vegetables are bright in color, and slightly softened.
- Add Grains, liquid, and1 tsp of salt and follow directions in table below.
Using instant? Adjust times and amount of liquid to box directions
|Add Grains/Liquid||Boil, then cover||Low Heat||Notes|
|Amaranth Grits (1 cup)Liquid (2 cups)||High||4:30|
|Barley ( 1 cup)Liquid (3 cups)||High||45 min|
|Buckwheat (1 cup)*Liquid (2 cups)||High||15 min||Rinse, strain before cooking|
|Corn Meal ( 1 cup)**Liquid (4 ½ cups)
(this is polenta)
|20-50 min||Stir corn meal in a bit at a time with a whisk, careful not to burn self with boiling liquid|
|Kamut (1 cup)Liquid (4 cups)||High8-10 min||60 min|
|Millet (1 cup)Liquid (2 cups)||Med||20 min||Rinse, strain before cooking|
|Oats (1 cup)Groats or Steel Cut
Liquid (2 cups)
|High||0:30||May want to substitute:fruit for vegetables
fruit juice for ½ of liquid
|Quinoa (1 cup)****Liquid (1 ½ cups)||High||15-20 min||Rinse and strain several times before cooking to remove bitter coating on grains|
|Rice (1 cup)Liquid (varies w/ rice)||High||15-25 min||Read package for liquid/cooking times|
|Rye Berries (1 cup)***Liquid (3 cups)||High||50-60 min||Cook until some berries have burst|
|Spelt (1 cup)Liquid (2 cups)||High||45 min||(not gluten free)|
* eat only once a day since it can cause development of new sensitivities
** polenta is done when it thickens and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Great leftovers – pour warm polenta into shallow pan and cut up the next day and fry
Easy Microwave Option: Use microwave-safe covered glass casserole to bring grain to a boil (7 min on high) and then simmer on low (see table for time… use 50% power)